The Centre for Continuing Education (CCE) was established in June 1986. The centre supports faculty members in meeting the following objectives of IIT Madras:
- Providing knowledge-based technological services to satisfy the needs of the society and industry.
- Helping build national capabilities in science, technology, humanities, management, education and research.
The Centre effectively participates and contributes to the institute’s commitment of providing a broad base of learning opportunities through the following major activities:
- Academic programmes (M.Tech. and Ph.D.) under the Quality Improvement Programme (QIP) (sponsored by the AICTE).
- Short-term courses (STCs) under QIP (sponsored by the AICTE).
- Writing books under the Book Writing Scheme (BWS).
- Continuing Education Programmes (CEPs) for professionals from industry.
- Fulltime and Web enabled User-Oriented Programmes (UoPs) for specific industries through which their engineers acquire higher degrees (M.Tech).
- Courses under National Programme on Technology-Enhanced Learning (NPTEL).
- Recording important activities through the facilities in the Central Photographic Section.
- Conducting conferences/seminars/workshops/symposium.
- Allotment of ISBN numbers for textbooks and other publications of faculty members.
- Web enabled continuing education programmes for industries.
- Courses under Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN).